Monday, May 6, 2013

Asus Zenbook Prime UX51V Random Crash / Random Shutdown in Windows 8 [* SOLUTION *]

*** UPDATE 1/23/2014 ***
I have been able to resolve this issue by replacing the battery in this laptop. This is the battery I purchased
After replacing the battery in the laptop, I have not had the random shutdown on battery power since. Here are the instructions to replacing the battery in this unit.

1. First you need to get the right screwdriver for the screws in the bottom of the laptop. They look like tiny little stars. I found this Kobalt screwdriver set at home depot that had the correct bit. It's the smallest one of the star bits. Here is the picture..

2. There are 12 screws in the bottom of the ASUS UX51V. 2 of them are hiding under the black plastic feet in the rear of the laptop. Use a knife to pry off the rubber feet. You can glue them back on later if needed.

3. After unscrewing, the bottom plate removes easily. At this point the battery is exposed and there are a number of screws holding it in. Be sure to remember the position of these screws after you've unscrewed them as some of them vary in size.

4. Before removing the battery you have to disconnect it from the main board. Simply LIFT UP on the little tag that is attached to the connector piece and it will disconnect easily. Be sure not to pull towards you or away from you. The connection disconnects in an upward fashion.

5. Simply replace the battery, make sure it is seated under the lip and that the peg/notches are in place and then screw it back in. Replace the bottom plate and screw it back in.

6. That's all!
------------------------------------ ORIGINAL POST BELOW ------------------------------------

I love my Asus Zenbook UX51V, I even left a solid 5 star review on Newegg for it. However, after a few months of owning it there is a BIG problem which protential buyers need to know about.

The UX51V will randomly shutdown ( not BSOD, BlueScreen or Error). It seems to happen ONLY when I'm running off battery and almost always when I'm streaming some video from youtube or another site. Please note this is not a battery running out of power issue, the laptop shut's down with plenty of battery life left. I can turn it back on without a problem most of the time. Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes before it wil let me turn it back on without crashing and shutting down instantly again. If you have this laptop and you are experiencing this problem you may notice you are getting a Critical level (Kernel-Power) error in your Windows/System event log. (Accessible via Computer Management). "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

As far as I know there are no known fixes yet or any official statement from Asus acknowledging this problem, despite their being numerous reports of it from other customers..

http://meieden.hubpages.com/hub/A-Zenbook-Users-Experiences-with-Asus-Laptop-Customer-Support-and-RMA-Service

http://technologicaltheologian.blogspot.com/2012/10/zenbook-prime-and-unexpected-shutdown.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/asus-zenbook-crashes-on-battery-windows-8-a-685977.html

Some notable possible work-arounds posted by others include the following:

FYI if you have the problem that the computer shuts down when you unplug the charger you should try the latest driver for the Intel GPU. It has a crash fix for exactly that.

I have disabled VT-d in the BIOS, along with Intel’s shutdown power management. I have not yet seen the shutdown problem. Note that you don’t need VT-d, as it is a virtualization technology, and it is doubtful that most people will use that on an ultrabook with 4GB of RAM.

Good luck! Please comment if you are also having this problem and have any insight/frustrations to share.

Thanks for reading.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Alex. I'm having this problem as well, but my zenbook is a UX31A. I've had this very same issue ever since I purchased my laptop in March and it is very frustrating.
    Eventually one day it shut down randomly and would not start up again. I am not sure what problem this was due to but I sent it back to Asus for repairs. They managed to fix it and the unit turned on again, but I am still having the random shutdown error and I am planning on sending it back again. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mimi, thanks for the reply. If you do send it back and they somehow fix it from randomly shutting down let us know. For me the problem seems to happen the most when I try to watch a video online (like youtube or something) and the computer is unplugged. If its plugged in, there is never a problem. I've heard installing Windows 7 alleviates the problem. It would be great if Asus came out with a solution or patch or something. They need to acknowledge this huge problem. Anyway thanks for stopping by and posting. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I am having the same problem on a slightly older UL80V running Win7, this model is a regular ASUS laptop, not an ultrabook, but the symptoms a very much the same: Random freezes and reboots (without a BSOD) when on non-empty battery. Issues seems unrelated to the chosen GPU (this model has a low-power Intel GPU and a faster nVidia GPU, there is an option to switch GPU when switching power source, but I usually set it to one of the GPUs explicitly).

    I have not found a solution yet, one forum has a post suggesting the CPU fan automatically slowing down on battery, causing overheating, but there was no followup and ASUS typically don't let user's control or monitor the thermal stuff.

    I don't think my model has an item named "Intel shutdown power management", but it sounds like the right place to look, rather than the VT-d feature which I wish mine had (this is the feature that lets you surf *tube etc. inside a secure virtual machine and still use the GPU acceleration etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    have the same issue with my Zenbook ASUS UX52 VS : Kernel-Power 41 (63)
    The computer shutdown randomly while running( plugged )
    OS : Windows8

    if some on as news about this error ?

    thanks
    Claude

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Asus support has changed the mother board, since 2 months the issue (shutdown randomly ) never append.

    Thanks to Asus Switzerland support for the fast repair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After 2 weeks the random shutdown append again .... it was't the mother board. I will send it again to Asus Support !

    Any suggestion? I think there is fabrication default with the Zenbook series !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, have the same issue with my Asus UX51VZ. I contacted Asus Support, will see what they said. All who has this problem should send the email to support. Maybe it will push them to make fix faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asus support has changed the fan & the thermal regulation, since 2 weeks the issue (shutdown randomly ) never append.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, the issue append again !!! I guess it's not a hardware problems ,
    any suggestion ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am having the same problem. When I plug or unplug the battery, it will just shut down. Sometimes, the computer shuts down even the battery is plugged into the computer. I am really frustrated because of this.

    Also, when the battery is around 65% and I am on internet, the computer will just shut down; however, if I am not using internet, the battery will last till 10%. Does anyone is having the same problem as me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got new asus laptop it had few issues right now in the process to send the computer for repair.
    Asus support please visit the link.

    Thankyou
    Lacy Brown

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Shutdown randomly issue append 3-5 minutes after the Asus came out from the sleep mode (open the screen)
    Never append when the Asus came from the hibernate mode. I guess is a SSD Driver bug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fixed the problem without changing the battery, just unplug the battery from the board for ~1 min (I let it more) and now the problem are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replacing the battery has fixed this problem for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete