Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 Lag Spikes

This post is about troubleshooting the Intel Centrino Advanced N-6235 wireless adapter in Windows 8. There is a problem with this wireless card that is beginning to show up for a lot of people.


So, I decided a good use of this blog will be to post solutions to problems I encounter in the course of my dealings with new hardware, programming challenges, or otherwise anything related to technology. I know how annoying it is when I google a problem and I can't find any answers anywhere. I'm always happy when I see someone who has had a similar problem as me and posted their solution online. So now that will became one of the main focuses of this blog.

I bought a new Windows 8 laptop, the ASUS Zenbook UX51V.  This model comes with a Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 wireless network card. Everthing about his laptop is fine except that I was getting really high lag spikes that lasted about 2-4 seconds every minute or so. I thouht it had to be something with the wireless polling, ping times were high and correlated with the lag spikes in m video game (heroes of newerth).

Some people have had a lot of success using WLAN Optimizer to disable wireless background scanning to fix high ping intervals. (http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/) However for me it did not seem to make a difference for Windows 8. Perhaps they will release a new version for W8.

What did seem to work and suggested by some other people here is turning on 802.11n mode and switching the Wireless Mode to 802.11g in the advanced config. That is the only thing that dramatically reduces the re-occuring high latency issues.

More on the workarounds here:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/31090

and here:
http://communities.intel.com/message/178418

I do not consider this a permanent solution. I believe INTEL needs to come out and address this issue and release a driver fix.


7 comments:

  1. This posted informed me about a lot. I've been trying to figure out what the issue is with these lag spikes. THanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and switching the Wireless Mode to 802.11g in the advanced config.
    "

    I just did it! You can't imagine how happy I was to see speedtest finally showing me 25-30Mb!! I had figures around 5Mb at maximum (more often 1mb) with this machine, and 30+mb with all other computers I have.. Lets see what will be the drop rate and how it will work in the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post saved me a trip to Best Buy to return my laptop!! I spent several hours searching for a solution to this and was about to give up when I found this page. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For people this didn't work for. It got me halfway there I was working on an Intel Centrino N-2200. The only WiFi device that was having issues. After ensuring I had the latest driver from Intel, using their Auto Driver detection software, I changed the wireless mode to 802.11g, enabled Wireless N, and lowered the broadcast strength, but then I had to get into the router. I change the broadcasting mode from 802.11abg to 802.11 g and the frequency from 20/40 to 20 only, I left the rest of my settings default. This fixed my problem. I have had no issues since. I hope this helps people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope someone here can help:

    In February, I bought a Samsung 9-series laptop (with W8); great, except for a problem I think is due to the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless card. Let me try to explain the problem that has occurred:

    If I'm connected to a network with the new Samsung laptop, and my old laptop, phone etc is connected to the same network, the new laptop (with the ICA-N6235 card) will often disconnect from the network, showing the "warning triangle", telling me that the connection is "limited" or "can't connect", while my old laptop etc can connect just fine.

    I thought this was a problem with the old network, but I've recently moved, and the problem is the same here. I think that it disconnects if there are only 3 bars or less of signal (it still shows that it has signal, but it won't let me connect or use the internet.

    Will the solutions above fix the problem?

    Sorry for the long post, I'm just very frustrated :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Friend.. I have the same issue with the same laptop.. Do Contact me as soon as you see this!

      Delete
  6. I also have the samsung 9 with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 and the machine refuses to connect to my wifi with WPA security..

    Helo

    ReplyDelete